Alaska is by far one of the top destinations for travelers this season and it's not hard to see why! Join CP Travel Ambassador Kara Beutel as she takes us to Alaska onboard the Celebrity Solstice and see why you need to visit at least once in your lifetime.
What specific cities and /or countries did you visit? Seattle, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, and Victoria British Columbia
What was your favorite memory from this trip? Snowshoeing in Skagway! it was supposed to be a "hiking" tour but since it was early in the season the trail was still covered in snow, so they run the tour as a snowshoe expedition!
Top excursions and landmarks/sites to visit:
- The Great American Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan was more fun and more entertaining than I expected!
- Whale watching in Juneau was great, even though we were supposed to go dogsledding after a helicopter ride to the top of Mendenhall Glacier, but it was raining so this was a Plan B.
- Butchart Gardens in Victoria was stunning, even in the rain.
- The snowshoe hike was amazing for those who like active excursions! It included a ride on the White Pass railroad.
Were there any standout restaurants or foodie must-haves on this trip? We had "Spruce Tip" beer in Skagway, which is locally made and can only be made early in the season when the spruce tips are coming out. (I don't drink beer, but my husband liked it and I didn't dislike the sip I tried.)
What is something people would be surprised to learn about this destination? That there are actually mosquitos in Alaska, and they're pretty big! I was surprised.
Top 5 Tips and recommendations for this trip:
- You can often see whales right from the cruise ship (my husband saw one breech right from our balcony)!
- Pack an eye mask for sleeping - it stays bright a LONG time in Alaska!
- Binoculars for the wildlife are a good idea.
- Layers are best! It's often warmer than you anticipate, but it also rains a lot, so you may not need a super warm coat all of the time, but will still want something with a hood that's waterproof.
- Take it all in - the scenery is unbelievably amazing!
Did you travel via cruise ship? If so, please describe the experience and some of the standout features that you ere excited about. We were on Celebrity Solstice. Being able to see whales right from the ship was awesome. We also really enjoyed the hot tubs in the solarium and some days it was warm enough to lay out on deck too.
What makes this destination a must-see in your opinion? As someone who typically hates cold weather and is a beachy Caribbean girl through and through, this destination blew me away. It's so different, so stunning, and there is so much to see and do! Everyone should go at least once.
Additional thoughts and insights? This cruise was roundtrip from Seattle, but next time I would do a cruise tour to get the interior/land portion of Alaska as well!
To become a Cruise Planners agent, and discover new destinations like our Travel Ambassadors, click here: https://www.cruiseplannersfranchise.com/cruise-planners-ebook-pdf-download?hsLang=en